Saturday, November 3, 2012

Ah, Baja


Last weekend I went to an art show and met some local expat artists. It was fun to meet them and I enjoyed the show. I made a wonderful connection with one of the artist who has a weekly after school art club at the local children's shelter. She invited me to join her and help with the art creations of the children. so on wednesday afternoon, I shifted from beach bum to art teacher. I found out just how common a language art expression can be....the children and I got on just fine even though they spoke only Spanish and I only English. We could still understand each other....interesting how that works. I will continue weekly visiting and helping with the art club...what fun!


Friday, went to a wonderful event of mostly expats at a very nice seaside community near by called BajaMar. After I went through the guarded gates and into the community I felt  transported into another time and place ....it was so reminiscent of a Southern California Community. Very beautiful with lawns, club house, swimming pool, mature palm tree line drives and tons of flowers everywhere. We had a lovely garden party in honor of Dia de los Muertos, with music, altar building or making an Ofrenda, we shared remembrances of family members who have pasted. Then heard stories of the tradition of Dia de los Muertos and the parts of the traditional Ofrenda and Celebrations. Followed by making of some traditional crafts. I made a corn husk flower that came out well. In the late afternoon sun we enjoyed some really yummy traditional foods and interesting conversation. Ah, Baja!


No comments:

Post a Comment