Sunday, January 10, 2010

Well the 2010 is here and I didn't make any resolutions. I think the best thing to do is be grateful for each day and enjoy the special moments. We are having such a cold winter I haven't really gotten out much these days. I just finished reading an interesting account of the Canadian Artist Emily Carr 1871-1945. She tracked alone all over the back woods of the islands near Vancouver to document the Totem poles in a time when women didn't travel alone. She created painting of them, working on the spot, making friends with the navies or going to a village when it was known that the navies where away fishing. It was a rather dangerous adventure in the name of art. She also painted woods and landscapes in a powerful abstract way.

When I was in Alaska I had the opportunity to watch a contemporary totem pole carver at work. It was fascinating. A pole can take more than a year to carve. I have a very small little pole, 6 inches high that I bought from the studio. The poles have wonderful stories in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment